About William Richard "Dick" Waghorne
2003-current date: Web Designer,
College of Arts and Sciences
Consult with administrators, faculty and staff in the College of Arts and Science division to determine their web
needs then plan and develop their websites. These websites may be designed from scratch or modified from their existing
ones. The design process includes design of web navigation, graphics, animations, photography,
asset management, and working with code (HTML and XHTML).
Some sites I have designed:
Collaborations: Co-design, coding, code streamlining and/or navigational enhancement:
Sites I am currently developing:
2003-2008 Web Design Instructor:
Offered 3 credit course in the Soling program first called Web Design for Novices and later Web Projects for Novices, Volunteers and Community Outreach. This course encouraged students to volunteer to work on projects for university departments, local non-profit organizations,
and public interest groups. Students learned to interview clients to develop design specifications for a web site.
These specifications included:
- information design
- writing copy for website
- creating web graphics and photographs for web pages
- creating the web pages
- creating animations and rollovers
2002-2003: Photoshop Instructor
LightWork, a community darkroom resource center.
Taught introduction to Photoshop to the general public.
1999-2002: Educational Media Specialist
The North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics
The "go to guy" for faculty, staff and students on all aspects of digital media production:
- Assessed needs
- Planned, designed and produced publications, presentations, animations, and web sites.
- Tutored faculty, staff, students on media center software
- Advocated for digital technology for the classroom
- Supervised the Communications Center, a facility printing and binding over 4 million pages a year. Supervised the office manager, specified and leased copiers for the institution, troubleshot any file not printing perfectly
1999: Graphic Designer
- Gilbarco, Inc. Greensboro, NC. Worked for four months with seven other graphic designers producing pictures of the gasoline pumps Gilbarco proposed to manufacture for customers. These pictures were produced in 11X17” format using FreeHand exclusively.
- Univ. of NC School of Nursing. Temporary job. Produced PowerPoint presentations for two months with two other designers for the faculty of the school to use either in the classroom or for external presentations.